Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dance

The movie footloose conveyed a timeless message in one of the best ways in its premise of the biblical truth: "There's a time to dance." Dancing is a marvelously diverting pastime, a healthy outlet for release of tension, and a beautiful art. Watching a skilled dancer is indescribable, but the viewer can sometimes almost feel like they are dancing with them. For anyone who enjoys it, there's is nothing like the adrenaline rush of dancing as your body moves precisely with each beat and in perfect rhythm with a given tune. As an artistic person, I personally think that music, singing, dancing, and acting have always gone hand in hand... a concept especially evident in old classic Hollywood movies and in famous musical plays. Dance is the highest form of body language in thought-out expression and purposeful intention.

Growing up, I went to a Jewish messianic synagogue (basically Christian Jews), and dance was often incorporated in the worship. I was part of the dance team for about five years. Though I never took traditional dance classes as a child, I always appreciated the various kinds of dance. Once, in high school during a talent show, a couple danced an intense and flashy salsa routine with flips, dips, and crowd-pleasing, complicated turns. I had never seen anything like it. Since then it stayed in the back of my mind. A couple of years later, when the opportunity presented itself, I started taking salsa lessons. I've taken them on and off for years now and it is always a blast. Of course, in this hip-hop culture, urban dance is a big area of interest for me though I haven't had the time to invest in it yet. When I can, I plan on learning a lot more of it. I definitely want to learn tap dance, ballroom, and jazz as well for theatrical purposes as well as for fun.

There is certainly plenty of room in dance for the individual, but I think dance is at its best when it is presented as a team effort. There is nothing like a couple dancing in graceful sync with each other exuding magically intoxicating chemistry... and it is a delightful and riveting treat for the eyes to see an extravagantly choreographed piece involving a larger group of people. Some shows and movies have become famous and are remembered for the scenes in which even up to a hundred people move together to create an intensely magnificent dance sequence!

Dance is the highest form of celebration. When you can't helped but to tap your foot, clap your hands, and start moving and grooving to the music... then you know that you're really in party mode, and you're loose enough to feel complete joy and happiness and express it to the fullest!

Thank you God for music, song, and dance. What a dynamic trio :)

No comments:

Post a Comment