Saturday, December 5, 2009

Music

Music is food for the soul. I'm sure someone has already said that; nevertheless, it is true. Music is one of God's most wonderful gifts to humanity; it is His Breath that fills the air as it flows through different instruments' notes, even through our own vocal chords. What cannot be fully expressed in words can be easily conveyed through a heartfelt melody. Even the most extensive and eloquent vocabulary, though beautiful, cannot capture the essence of emotion and feeling the way music can. It transcends language barriers, social, religious, and political differences, frames of time, and speaks to people of all ages as it delivers it's particular message in waves of sound... much like color tells it's tales in specific wavelengths of light. It is irresistible to the ear and comforting to the spirit as each individual finds the song that resonates within them, a song that parallels their experience and vibrates to their same tune. Whether skilled in music or not, everyone participates in this awesome occurrence of life. The musician expresses his or her story through musical notes and finds release, relief, and realization in creating. The listener can relate to a piece of music, approve it for himself, and feel consoled and validated in their stance as they discover a shared emotion or circumstance with the artist. I believe it is the most straightforward form of communication... This is the miracle of music. When it sounds a certain way, it can be taken only at face value... in other words, music can't fake a smile. If it's sad, it sounds melancholic; if it's joyful, it sounds triumphant; if it's coming from an angry and frustrated place, it simply sounds that way... There is no need for interpretation of sound. Music binds us together, defines generations, shapes cultures, reconciles the past and the present, and gives us hope for the future.

Music has always been a big part of me. As a singer and someone who loves to dance, I have always appreciated the art of music, and I enjoy almost all genres of it. Ever since I can remember, I've been a music aficionado to the point of sneaking behind my mom's back as a child to listen to the radio behind close doors (she was very religiously conservative when I was growing up). I think it's part of what made me a dreamer to. I would listen to music and envision things I'd like to experience and places I'd like to go. Whenever I was feeling any particular way, there was always a piece of music that could express it perfectly. It could always help me relax and revamp, vent my frustration or anger, or assist me in wallowing in depression and despair during a much needed pity trip, LOL! On the other end, music can lift my spirits like nothing else can. Even in times when I have been the most down, a good song can make me smile, laugh, jump around like a mad person, and forget everything else if just for a moment. Music alleviates discouragement, provides a temporary but heavenly escape from sorrow, and even serves as a permanent anecdote to disappointment. It inspires some of the most glorious feelings in people and sooths and smooths out tensions. Music is the wings we fly with. It allows our hearts to soar up to incredibly elating heights, and also helps us assimilate the darkness we may face when we go through our valleys in a healthy way. It is an intrinsic part of our beings, to the smallest atom that constitutes every fabric of life. What if birds never sang, and grasshoppers never chirped, and water never trickled, and trees never swayed in the wind? I am convinced this world would be a dreary and tormented place without music... one of its greatest and priceless treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment