Tuesday, November 10, 2009

SAG and AFTRA

Yesterday and today (and always) I am thankful for the two unions I am a member of: the sister unions, SAG and AFTRA. I moved to California to get into the acting and entertainment business, and when I got here I didn't have a clue where to start. After a year and a half of wasting time in retail and bar tending, I finally became fed up of doing irrelevant things and decided to try background work. When I started, I was excited to be on set and was like a sponge, absorbing every bit of information I came across. I asked everybody I met questions about this work and how to get ahead. I quickly learned about vouchers and union eligibility requisites and casting companies and a whole bunch about other pertinent matters. I was, of course, working as a non-union extra and was being paid minimum wage, which was $8 an hour at the time. Obviously, that was nothing; but thankfully I was living with people who generously supported me, which made it possible for me to work for so little and make ends meet. Just like all the newbies in background, I became obsessed with the idea of getting the three union vouchers required to be able to join the Screen Actors Guild. I asked everybody how they got theirs, LOL! Now, when I hear someone eagerly asking those same questions, I remember what it was like, and I am so thankful to be passed that! Now, I confidently affirm them, "Don't worry! Sooner or later, you will get your vouchers. Just be patient and proactive." ...and that is all you can really do. There are no rules to this. Some people get them in the first week they start working; for others, it can take over a year or more. I was blessed to get them within three months of when I began working as an extra. Even so, I didn't have the $2400 initiation fee money to join SAG, so I kept working non-union. After almost 7 months of working non-union, God provided the money for me, and I was able to join SAG. Everything changed.


When a person joins SAG, not only does the pay rate increase drastically, but the treatment one receives greatly improves as well. When I was working non-union, I remember times when the production crew and the SAG members would be eating fabulous, catered meals, while non-union extras were given paper bags with a cold sub and an apple in them LOL! Hey, it's better than nothing... at most jobs you usually have to buy your own food. Once a union member, the pay can easily be over three times the non-union pay, depending on overtime and additional bumps, and SAG members enjoy many other perks and are protected from potential abuse of power on set. SAG regulates the actors' working condition and environment; and if the rules are not adhered to, they will send reps to set to enforce them. SAG also can fine production companies for any violations; this makes the companies a lot more compliant. Honestly, I rarely have had any complaints as most of my experiences on set have been pleasant. Any disagreements I've witnessed have usually been settled in a mostly civilized manner. In addition, SAG offers its members benefits and pensions to work towards, as well as health insurance coverage for members who are qualified. I am thankful to be receiving good pay for doing brainless work, LOL, and I feel better about my income contributing toward something greater than just daily work. There are many other functions of SAG that I have yet to learn about, and many protections it offers members, especially working actors with speaking roles. For now, all I can say is that being in this union has made a world of difference to me in an unquestionably positive way.


At the beginning of this year, I joined AFTRA. I had resisted for a long time because it simply was not necessary. I had plenty of work on SAG shows. Then, when SAG would not easily settle on a new contract with the producers last year, the producers canceled many SAG shows, and a lot of new ones went AFTRA. Although AFTRA is getting better, it is a very disorganized union. Also, it has different terms for different shows, which I think defeats the purpose of a union. However, I believe there is wisdom in the saying, "If you can't beat them, join them!" and it definitely applied in this case. I want to really pursue an acting career, so it only made sense to increase my opportunity by being a member of both unions. And, it has certainly paid off for me. I joined AFTRA just before SAG work notably slowed down, and because of that, I have continued to work steadily while others' work supply has decreased. Many AFTRA shows have increased their base rates too, some being higher than SAG rates, which is wonderful since a big excuse for unwillingness of many not to work AFTRA was because of poor pay in comparison to SAG. AFTRA is still far behind SAG in the benefits and residuals it offers its members, but hopefully they will both eventually find a way to join forces and becomes one main actors union, which would be the most fair situation to all people whose business is that of acting.


Overall, I am glad and proud to be part of these unions. The dividing issues between the two have caused problems for actors, but without them, the majority of actors would be lost. There would be nothing to protect actors or defend their rights. Negotiating with producers for new contracts is almost always an uphill battle, and inevitably, contracts expire every three years. Thank God for unions that fight for their members' just causes. Thank God for SAG and AFTRA.... and here's to someday having just ONE actors union!!


No comments:

Post a Comment